Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 16, 2011

I may have screwed myself by doing the right thing

The last time I talked to a Vocational Counselor she was not a very nice person.  I do understand that there are those people who take advantage of the system but she came right out and told me that if I had run a cash register before then I can run a cash register again at a gas station and she wasn't concerned with the idea that I can't live on minimum wage, as long as she finds I can go back to work.  It was this attitude that I was expecting and even banking on when I sat with my new Vocational Counselor yesterday.  I was also going on the fact that when my ex-husband was on workman's comp he was told he could not move out of state and continue to receive workman's comp, or go to school outside of Washington.  I was so wrong!!

The first thing she told me yesterday was that I was too limited physically to be a cashier.  She also told me that the idea that the first counselor's plan that I can work in any pharmacy because I have a Pharmacy Assistant license  is outdated, which I already knew both but it was nice to hear someone else say it.  But I never expected to even come close to being considered for retraining, I have fully expected to do this without help of any kind.  My lawyer and the counselor also said that because the labor market here in this little town is  so bad that it is possible for me to be able to move out of state and be retrained elsewhere.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven, those were the best words I could hear!!  Until after the meeting, when the counselor and I were walking out of the office and she took a phone call from her supervisor.

That's when I was told that I should move before we make a plan, if I am found to be re-trainable.  And the reality of that single statement struck me on my way home from the meeting.  All this time I have put some money to the side but not nearly enough to move 1000 miles, that will take thousands of dollars.  What I have been doing is trying to pay as much as possible on the student loans, medical bills and taxes that I owe.  Plus I did a lot to my car (tires, brakes, battery, whatever it needed to keep running well, NOT a new stereo, I can only listen to the classic station here in town, we have no reception).  So I don't have any regrets as to what I have done with my money, I just didn't realize that I could have already moved.  I would have done things very differently.  My thinking was that I should pay as much off as possible so I wouldn't owe so much when I do move, and I was hoping I could pay less after the move.

This job climate may just help me in the long run and if I'm able I may be able to have an income AND my education paid for because of the job climate.  I never saw that coming.  I fully expected my case to be closed by the end of next week and to be renting a truck soon after, and that is still possible.  But I have to be flexible and thankfully I am.  Here's the thing, I have to stop paying those debts for about a month, to 2 months, to be able to have the money to move.  Or pay much much less.  So my job today is to sit down with my budget and look at what else I can cut off to save even more money, and figure the very least of what I can pay out to those fun debts I have.  Maybe if I pay them $10.00 a month for the next 2 or 3 months they will keep from suing me.  The IRS may not be happy with that, so I may have to talk to them, as it is they want $600.00 a month for the next 2 months but I'm sure if I pay something it will work out that I end up paying more in the long run in interest but they will (hopefully) stay out of my bank account.

This is going to be rather tricky but it's not like I can work overtime for extra money and I don't have very much more to recycle (what i do have would only be enough to put gas in my car), I don't have enough to move to another state, HA HA!!    So I'll rework my budget and lower my expenses even more (I'll find a way!!) and wait to see what happens.  It could turn out, they don't find me re-trainable and close my case, but I have to be ready for whatever now and I have a little bit of time to think of a new game plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment