Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 22, 2011

Did I mention I'm a Taurus??

Anyone who knows me well will tell you, I'm stubborn.  Most Taureans wouldn't admit it but I will, it's who I am and who I've always been.  I am pretty good with going with the flow but I have to be the one to make up my own mind, there's no one on earth who can make it for me.  It takes a lot to anger me but when I do the phrase "bull in a China shop" is an understatement.  And when I do make up my mind it's pretty hard for me to change it, stubborn, don't ya know....

So for the last few months, while this plan has been hatching in my head I have been thinking about getting a small house, that I may have to go to the ghetto of Las Vegas.  I have my own washer, dryer, refrigerator, chest freezer...I've been thinking about my grand kids coming over to spend weekends and what if my kids need a place to live, I should have space.  So when I received the news that I owed so much in taxes (I know $1200 isn't really that much but it's a small fortune for someone with little money) and looking at the fact that I just consolidated my student loans and my medical bills into 2 loans I had a moment of "now what the heck am I supposed to do??"  "How on earth am I supposed to do this??"  So I took a step back and did a little personal inventory.

When my doctor and workman's comp releases me medically I will be paid, as my doctor has put it to me, for what my neck is worth.  It wont be a lot but it will (hopefully) be enough to get a head start in my new life. So I have already taken a look at what I may receive (and I'm still not sure, I'm going on what my doctor and lawyer have told me I might receive) and I have made a budget accordingly.  

I have already started shutting stuff off.  Gas is off, and satellite gets turned off today.  Officially, I am paying more in medical bills, student loans and taxes than I am paying to live.  So how am I supposed to get by when I move??  Am I going to end up living in my car??  Then I had an ah-ha moment on Saturday.

Las Vegas is the hotel capital, in my opinion, and I know there are efficiencies and studio apartments I can rent weekly and monthly.  The trick is finding one that accepts dogs and cats.  And I have.  It would cost between $750 and $800 a month but I wouldn't have to worry about paying any utility bills, I can keep my costs way down that way.  I would have to get a storage unit but I don't have much so I can just get one that can hold my appliances until I am working and able to pay more in rent.  I can still make pallets on the floor for my grand kids (my grandparents did when I came to visit, or I brought my sleeping bag) and there is even an efficiency that has 2 bedrooms if I need room for my kids.  That one is a bit more than $800 a month but they will just have to pitch in and help me.

It was almost as though a weight lifted off of my shoulders.  I knew then, I know now, that I have options that I can do, that won't leave me broke in less than 6 months.  I do plan on applying for unemployment as soon as I get there but that takes time to receive so I have to be careful.  I think the trick was to be able to wrap my mind about moving from my own large 3 bedroom to a small studio apartment and yes, it will be a big change, but just by doing this small thing I will be saving money in the long run.  It will at least give me a head start.

Another note, my daughter moved out yesterday.  She is going ahead of me to Vegas and she should be between Reno and Vegas by now.  She is staying with a friend and she is going to be applying for the Air Force as soon as she gets there.  This weekend I have been watching all the documentaries I had saved on my DVR and I only have one left, it's 3 hours long and it's about Vietnam, so that's what I'm going to do for the rest of today.  Tomorrow I see my doctor and I will see how close I am to the move.

I've actually got butterflies in my stomach, I'm so excited about moving and starting my life again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment