Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Good news and bad news

After all these years fighting to keep my first home it has begun to fall apart.  Without going into detail (and I do have my reasons for that) lets just say that I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.  The repairs would cost around $10K and with my not working for 3 1/2 years that number may as well be in the millions.  Last week I got the paperwork, the house is officially in foreclosure, and I had options I wanted to get some advice on.  There's short sale and deed in lieu, among others, but those are the ones I was exploring.

It seems that both are out of my reach.  There is no way I can put this house on the market the way it is, and in order to do either I have to be able to put the house on the market.  So down the line, when (and if) the house does sell, I will be responsible to pay the taxes on the difference between what the house sells for and what I owe.  Which leaves me with only one option and that is to walk away and allow the mortgage company to just declare it abandoned.    Not exactly the news I wanted to hear but at least I know where I stand and what to expect down the road.

That was yesterday's news.  Today I had a long talk with my lawyer.  I have been hoping workman's comp would help me go back to school but it seems as though I have too many job skills to be able to get any help. Which is not a problem, at least I know and I'm not sitting here waiting for an answer.  They have told me before that they don't care if I make as much money as I was making, as long as I can stand at a register and scan items.  Which just doesn't bring in the money it takes to pay bills, running a cash register is more like a second job.  My lawyer said if I wanted to fight this I could and he would fight for me but the chances that I would win are not good.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear, something concrete, no more waiting to find out what I'm allowed to do with my life.  When you're on workman's comp there are endless hoops to jump through and I have jumped through every one they have told me to.  But apparently, I'm not done jumping.  I will have at least 2 more doctor visits before they release me, which means my move will not be quite as soon as I had hoped.  In reality, I had hoped to be moved by the end of May but now it's looking like it may be around the end of September.  But at least I know the ball is rolling and I couldn't be more happy about that.

On a more funny note, last week I had called to have my gas turned off.  The only reason I need it is because I have a gas fireplace but it does get cold here in Washington.  Well, it would figure that as soon as they turned it off we would have some really cold days (yes, in the middle of summer) so when I got home yesterday I had to go around the house and turn up all the electric heaters in the walls of each room, I was freezing!!  The rest of the country are experiencing record heat waves and us up here in the Pacific Northwest are experiencing an early fall almost. And if I can't laugh at that I don't know what I can laugh at!!

Which brings me to I am going to miss seasons but I'm not going to miss the mud my critters track in!!


No comments:

Post a Comment